Apr 30, 2009

A note about DIN for foreign nationals


When I was getting my DIN (I'm Mexican) I tried just submitting my papers notarized in India, with the notaries outside Bandra High Court. However, my application was rejected. Later on, I got my documents attested by my embassy in New Delhi, sent them again to MCA, and got them approved. I thought this might be a rule, but it seems I was wrong.

Raju, a reader of the blog, sent me the following message:
[...] I also had a quick question for you with regards to applying for DIN as a foreign director. We are currently facing some issues with getting the documents for DIN attested by the right person/people. My business partner is from the US and it might be difficult for him to travel back to New York to get the documents notarized. On your post on DIN, you mentioned something about embassy charges. Did you get your documents notarized/attested at an embassy in India? If not, is there no other option but to get the documents attested from the US?
After telling him my story, and him trying it out, he came back with the good, but confusing (for me) news:
Just wanted to drop you a note to say we finally managed to get the DIN approved. It was our 4th attempt. :-) The notarization from the US Consulate was rejected but we were told by the MCA DIN Cell that if the foreign director is in India, an Indian notary can do the attestation as long as a notarized copy of a valid Indian visa is also submitted.
Well... I guess it is matter of trying out different things until it works!

Thanks to Raju for telling me his experience and allowing me to post it here.

This article was also posted as a clarification into the original post about DIN.

1 comment: